Pages

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Gratitude Project - 16th April

Today is my half brother's birthday, he's turned 14. It has made me feel wistful.

I've been doing a lot of remembering/thinking recently about my teenage years. Mostly the range and depth of emotions that were in constant turmoil.

I'm excited for my brother to be going through this stage of life (though he is a much more level headed kid than I ever was!).
First crushes, first heartbreaks. The devastation of a broken friendship and the joy of mending it.
The desire to fit in, the desperation to be unique.
The sheer delight in being alive. 

He is finding his way through teenage-dom and coming out the other side, as a young man ready to make his mark on the world.

As a young girl, I never felt like I was the right age; I had always felt 16, even when I was 11 or 12.

Then when I turned 16, I finally felt like I was where I was supposed to be (age wise!). I sometimes think I've never really moved on from that age - I can stray into immature and puerile humour at any time! Which is not really helped by my paternal side of the family having a penchant for toilet humour!

I miss the newness of life as a teenager. Experiencing so many firsts. Learning how to be grown up, but knowing that I didn't have to be just yet; that's what parents are for!

And now I have two children. Crazy!!
I my mind I still feel 16. Mr M can still evoke in me similar feelings of being a teenager in love... 

These days I tell people that yes I am an adult, but I have no intention of being a proper grown up! :)

Things I am grateful for today:

1. Sunshine! I was starting to get bored of the rainy days. 

2. Bedtime snuggles as I read bedtime stories - my babies won't be small forever, I'm trying to make the most of it!

3. Exercise. I didn't want to go today (my workout buddy has been out of the office all week). But I made myself go, and did a 30-minute weights session. I love the feeling afterwards, that good sore pain that proves to me that I've worked hard.

Did you enjoy being a teenager? What's your favourite joke?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...