Pages

Thursday 10 November 2016

Gratitude Project - 9th November

Wow... what a day!

We all knew that history was going to be made in some way today - but I was gunning for it being because USA had voted in the first female president. I honestly never thought I'd go to bed with Trump as the president-elect....

What did all those people who voted for him see that I didn't?

I saw a man who preaches intolerance and hatred, who is disrespectful of anyone that isn't a white Christian man, and who offered no information on what his actual policies are. Or was this just what the media in Australia portrayed?

What did he do that made all those millions of people see past his odious words and behaviour and think: "yup, this bigoted lying mysogynst is exactly who I want to run my country"?? 

I know that his success is most likely to do with the fact that the American people are rejecting the traditional political "establishment", and that Trump is the perfect figurehead for that movement - there is similar feeling in Australia, and I totally understand it; I am so over wealthy fat old men deciding what is best for me, my family, and my fellow countrymen... oh hang on, that's exactly what Trump is!
(I know, I know. I am happy to complain about the system, but what am I doing to change it. I have no solution, I guess I'm waiting for the Millenials to jump in :) )

What concerns me most is what has been unleashed; the people who now think they can say whatever they want without ramification; the potential for xenophobia, and religious persecution in a country that was built by migrants.

Hopefully he was just being an outrageous showman to get the votes, hopefully he will be a good president... but I have a feeling that what you see is what you get...

Oh well, I guess we just wait until January 2018 and see what happens.

Right, enough of my views on a country and political system that has nothing to do with me, and that I'm only aware of from the media I have access to; I openly admit that I haven't done an ounce of research, all my views are formed on news articles I've read and tv shows I've watched. 

Things I am grateful for today:

1. Living in Australia. I've always known that I am blessed to live in such a gorgeous country, but today I feel it even more. 

2. The internet. I was able to watch the progress of the election and obsess over it all day... hmmmm, I'm not so sure that is a thing to be grateful for?? 

3. Trashy tv. Once the outcome was realised, I needed a distraction and found it in trashy reality tv show - Ramsey's Hotel Hell and Millionaire Matchmaker were my go-to shows last night!

What did you do for distraction after the election results? Do you have any trashy tv recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...