Pages

Friday 9 September 2011

Gratitude




A while ago, I was pretty down in the dumps.

It's not the first time I've been there. But thanks to counselling and a gaining a Certificate III in Holistic Counselling, I know my mental-self pretty well now and I can read the signs that all is not well in "Melissa's Brain"

So I let one of my Besties know that I was not in a good head space, had a vent, and then booked myself in for some counselling

My beautiful friend took on board everything I had said, and because she was about to go on an overseas adventure, she sent me a care package. (Yes, she is that awesome!)

In that care package was a Gratitude book from kikki.K, one of my all-time favourite shops.


It took me a little while to get around to writing in it. But two months ago, I decided to make a start; I decided to start looking at life with a more positive attitude.

Now every night, before I go to sleep, I reflect back on the day and write down three things that I am grateful for.

I am ALWAYS grateful for my Little Monster, and the smile he brings to my heart. The same can also be said for Husband.
(Although they are also both very capable of making me want to pull my hair out!)

Most days I know exactly what I am grateful for, and I can fill up the page within minutes of putting pen to paper.

But it's not always so easy. Sometimes and I get the first two, and then I have to turn to Husband and ask him what he thinks I should be grateful for.

Other times I can sit there for a good 20 minutes before I have written a word.

It is those times where I struggle, that I think I gain the most benefit from the book. Because those are the days where I have to really reflect.

I have to look back at my day, and if nothing big jumps out at me, I have to look back at the smaller things in my day.

Last week I posted about having a pretty lousy day. That night as I lay in bed, book on lap and pen in mouth, I could not think of a single thing to write.

I decided that for that day, I was grateful for:
  • Getting a seat on the bus into work
  • Eating my lunch in the sunshine
  • Having a glass of wine with dinner

Hardly mind blowingly insightful or deep. But momentous in that I was able to find three things to be
grateful for on a very shitty day.

Gratitude is a skill that I am slowly learning, and one that I am pleased to have. Because now I can see the more positive things in my life, and no matter how big or small I know that I will always have something to be grateful for.

How do you find the positives in your day?



{images from herehere and here}

2 comments:

  1. Great post honey. I love this! Somedays it is the smallest littliest things that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetheart! It's often easy to forget the little things when life gets that just that bit too big...
    Have a wonderful weekend! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...